Sunday, May 20, 2012

Desk Drawer into Thread Display Shelf tutorial

Okay, my friend, Sharon, recently got rid of her desk.  I begged her to keep all the drawers because I love using them for craft projects! This project came from the large narrow drawer that's usually at the top middle of the desk.



Here's what I did:

Take one ugly drawer.

This is the before pic of the drawer.  It has a white bottom because I initially intended to make it into a chalkboard and began painting it for that. 
Take out the built in organizer/pencil holder if there is one.  I was banging and banging on this thing and then my daughter said, "Mom, you probably have to take out a screw."  I told her I already checked and there isn't one, and when I turned the drawer around to show her, there it was!  Wow.


Pick out papers to decorate the back of the drawer. You can use scrapbooking papers, papers ripped from a magazine or old book, encyclopedia, or music sheets, maps or.....virtually anything.
Paste papers down.  I used stick glue, but you could also use Elmers.

Next, add shelves.  You can measure the size you need and at Home Depot they will cut the wood to your dimensions for free  I had some scrap wood in my garage and cut it down to size.  Unfortunately, this part I cannot give specific dimensions/instructions.  It depends on the size of your drawer. Paint shelves if desired.  I left the outside of my drawer unpainted, but chose to paint the shelves green
Add shelves.  I cut them to fit and then used finishing nails to secure them in place.
 Once shelves are in place, the job is pretty much finished.  Add a saw tooth picture hanger on each side of the back.  Hang on wall and add thread!  This would be a cute idea for any small displays 

Finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment