Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Easy Lotus style paper flower tutorial

This is such an easy flower to make!  Definitely a project for beginners. 
Supplies.
You will need:
  • one old book to pull pages from
  • scissors
  • 18" long floral wire
  • floral tape
  • pencil
First tear some pages out of the old book.
 (Let me take a moment to say that I love books.  I really do.  I love the way they look on the shelf, the way they smell, they way they feel.  That being said, I have no qualms tearing one up now and then.  But, the one that I choose to use for craft is usually a duplicate of one we already have, one that I would never recommend and therefore will not keep or give away, or one that is already in sorry shape.)

Fold in half.

Fold in half again.
Draw flower in pencil.  I used marker so that you could see it.
Cut out.
Loop end of wire.
Poke wire through middle of flower cut out and pull up to loop. Pinch in place.
Wrap with floral tape to secure.
Add another "cut out" by poking wire through center and pulling over first one.  Wrap base of flower with floral tape.  Continue adding the "cut outs" onto wire and securing with floral tape until you reach desired fullness.  I usually only use 4 or 5 "cut outs."
Finish lotus flower by wrapping the length of wire with floral tape. 
Here I have mine displayed on the fireplace mantel.


Bonus!  These are awesome to use on your old Christmas lights for a whimsical display.  You just cut out as above and then cut a small X in center.  Slip bulb through, pull paper down to where it isn't touching bulb, attach with floral tape.  My daughter has these in her bedroom. 



No comments:

Post a Comment