Sunday, November 18, 2012

DIY Saddle Shoes for a 50s party

So, my friend's 50th birthday is coming up and her daughter is having her a 50s theme surprise party.  WooHoo!  This is gonna be fun.  First things first, I AM BROKE!  That means no funds for this project, everything has to be made from home.....


Today I pulled out an old pair of slip on shoes that were destined for the garbage.  First, they were in such bad shape I had to stitch up the back seam on both shoes.  Next, I started painting.
Well, it's not necessarily a BEFORE picture.  After I started painting the first coat of white I remembered to take a picture. I painted both shoes with two coats of white acrylic craft paint.
Here is the finished project.  What d'ya think??
After the white coat, I looked up some images online for saddle shoes and painted the black parts.  It really doesn't take too much talent!  Next, I dipped the end of my paint brush into white paint and used it to make dots for the shoestring holes and for the decoration that goes around the border of the black.  Then, I painted lines for the shoestrings.  For a realistic touch I tied some white yarn into a bow and then sewed it onto the tops.  Voila!  Homemade saddle shoes. 

1 comment:

  1. No way!! LOL Those turned out awesome! Post pics of your finished outfit, okay? =)

    ReplyDelete